- 4 cups butter (salted or unsalted)
- In a pot, slowly melt butter. Make sure you don't bring it to a boil.
- Once it comes to a simmer, the milk solids will begin to float to the top and the butter will start sputtering. The sputtering is the water evaporating and is a good thing
- As the milk solids begin to float to the top, gently strain them from the top without stirring the butter too much
- Once the sputtering stops and the solids fall to the bottom, you have Clarified Butter
- To make Ghee, all the butter to continue simmering to allow milk solids to fall to bottom and toast (about 10 more minutes)
- After the clarified butter/ghee is done, allow to cool and pour through a cheesecloth lined fine strainer into a mason jar.