Who says you can’t have Mexican food on Keto? While its true, it can be difficult since so many Mexican dishes include the use of tortillas, corn and rice, you can still have the Mexican flavors you love.
We live busy lives and to be honest, sometimes we forget to take meat out of the freezer to defrost and other times we just don’t feel like cooking. This recipe solves both those problems. Why, because we’re going to use and Instant Pot.
When I was a kid, my dad used a pressure cooker all the time. We made soups, stews and canned our own vegetables. The thing is, he used an old fashion pressure cooker that you placed on the stove. When you heard that little knob whistling, you knew to stay away from the stove and the kitchen. He made us so fearful of a pressure cooker, it took me years to buy one. Modern day pressure cookers are awesome. They’re self contained, electric, have timers and have lots of safety features.
The nice thing about using a pressure cooker is it’s fast and easy. Just throw your ingredients in the there with some liquid (even if the meat is frozen), put the lid on, set the timer and walk away.
This recipe combines the ease of the modern day pressure cooker with the incredible flavors it can produce. Since you’re cooking under pressure, all those flavors get infused into the meat. With this recipe, the result is a super flavorful Mexican dish that you can serve over cauliflower rice, on a bed of lettuce or even some crisped up cheese wraps.
Mexican Shredded chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or stock
- Place the chicken thighs in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add the cream cheese, salsa, and broth and taco seasoning. Put lid on and turn dial to pressure. Cook on High for 20 minutes
- Allow pressure cooker to slow release for 5-10 minutes then quick release remaining pressure
- Remove chicken from pot and shred
- blend up remaining liquid with an immersion blender
- Add chicken back to sauce and stir
- Serve over califlower rice or by itself