Blue cheese, or “Bleu Cheese,” is one of the best cheeses you can eat on keto. It’s low carb and health for you. That final product, spotted with blue mold, is the result of Penicillium. You read right: blue cheese is made from the cultures of an antibiotic. Not only is blue cheese made from an awesome antibiotic, but it also contains ketones. The rich flavor and aroma of blue cheese comes from lipolysis which is the breakdown of fat. The metabolism of the blue mold breaks down fatty acids to form ketones and that’s why it tastes so good.
In addition to being delicious on its own, blue cheese makes an incredible dressing, especially for wings. Since we love wings, we eat a lot of blue cheese dressing. Although most of the blue cheese dressings in the grocery stores are low carb, they are made with canola oil, sunflower oil, or other ingredients we choose to avoid. We started experimenting with different consistencies for the base, the one thing we were both insisted on was that it had to be chunky. We think this blue cheese dip is better than anything you can buy in the store. And, it’s made from healthy ingredients.
The biggest reason we choose to make our own blue cheese dressing is to avoid trans fats but you may just want to make it because you can feel good about all the ingredients. For more information on the dangers of trans fats, check out this article: www.perfectketo.com/healthy-fat-foods. One of the best mayos you can use for making this recipe is avocado oil mayo. But since that in itself can be expensive, we make our own. You can find that recipe and video here.
One thing to note about this recipe. It’s good as soon as you make it, but it get better after about 24 hours. So, if you can, make it ahead of time. As the blue cheese sits in the dressing mixture, the flavor gets more intense.
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/3 Cup Avocado oil mayo
- 1/2 cup Full Fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
- 4-8 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Mix Mayo, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Whisk until fully combined.
- Fold in blue cheese. For the nutrition label here, we used 4 ounces. If you want it really chunky, feel free to add more.
- Store in an air tight container. Tastes good right away but gets better after being refrigerated for several hours.