Meatza is absolutely my go-to recipe when Joe’s got a game to officiate and I’m in charge of dinner. And, that’s for several reasons:
1. The crust of this pizza-like meal only requires a few ingredients: 1 pound of hamburger, your favorite spices, eggs, hemp hearts and Parmesan cheese! (And, if you watch the video, you’ll see Joe even leaves out the hemp hearts and it still comes out awesome!) As for the toppings, the sky’s the limit! I usually use this recipe to clean out the fridge. If I’ve just got a couple pepperoni slices, strips of bacon, broccoli florets, or spinach leaves looking to be useful, I can toss them on the meatza and not have any grocery waste. I’ve used tomato sauce, homemade Alfredo sauce, and even pesto sauce on our meatza, and they’ve all been delicious!
2. It’s fast. I honestly don’t know too many hot and hearty keto meals that only take 15 minutes to make – from start to finish. Wouldn’t it be awesome if I had an hour or two to prepare dinner? Yeah, that’s not happening. I’m always impressed when I am able to serve the kids something that’s actually warm! (Although I do love egg salad, tuna salad and chicken salad!)
3. It’s filling. If you’ve been watching our channel, you know I’ve apparently got a hollow, wooden leg. It takes a lot to make me “full,” much like my young adult children. A slice of this meatza gets the job done, feeding a family of four with just ONE POUND OF HAMBURGER! (Do you hear it? That’s the sound of my wallet clapping.)
4. It stores really well. So, if there are any leftovers, they make the perfect Keto meal prep for tomorrow’s lunch.
Who am I kidding? There are never any leftovers. It’s that good.
Finally, what makes the Meatza such a magical unicorn recipe, is that it’s also super easy to clean up after because you make it in the same pan you cook it in! In our home, Joe usually cooks the meal and I clean up after it. So, as you can imagine, I am ALL ABOUT the one dish entree! Anytime Joe can prepare, cook, and serve a meal in one pan, I’m a happy camper!
So, save this recipe for a night when you’re in a hurry to feed some hungry folks, but don’t have a bunch of money to spend on ingredients or a bunch of energy to spend on cleaning up!
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts (we use these)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a cast iron skillet (a non stick will work if it is oven safe to 400 degrees) mix all the ingredients.
- Cover the entire skillet with the meat. Make sure it runs up the side so that you have a crust to hold in your toppings.
- Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes until meat is fully cooked. Depending on the fat percentage of your ground beef and the size of your eggs, the meatza will shrink.
- When meat is cooked, remove from oven and cover with whatever toppings you want. The toppings will alter the nutrition.
- Place back in oven until cheese is melted.
- Plate and Serve. We like to spoon some of the extra fat from the pan and pour it over the top of each piece so that you get the benefit of all that yummy goodness. Don't forget about all the caramelized pieces of cheese and meat that are stuck the pan, they add a great crunch to the top.